My Experiment

Where to begin.... Let's see. It all begins months and months ago with me spending more and more time on the computer. Sometimes I'm on the internet, sometimes I'm scrapping, sometimes I'm doing both. It seems like lately I'm always on. I'm constantly checking my email, my IMs, my favorite sites. It's to the point that I feel stressed out if I'm away from the computer. I've been slowly realizing that what I've been doing is probably not good for me or for my family. I can't hear that IM pop up without rushing to check it. I check in with certain forums more times a day than I can count. I scrap all the time. I'm losing sleep, I'm low on patience, and I think I'm suffering because of it. Yes, in the back of my mind for a while now, I've known I needed to make a change.

Fast forward to yesterday. Things have been going pretty much normally, although I have been trying to spend a tad less time on the computer. Yesterday, though, I was online, chatting on IM, and just "busy" in general. All of a sudden, all of our internet just died. No wireless on the lappy, no normal internet on the PC. No internet. No IM. No nothing. And we couldn't fix it. It was early in the evening...a long Saturday night stretching in front of us. What would I do with no computer? I was stressed.

That's when it hit me. It is ridiculous for me to feel this way. Yes, the internet is great, Being able to chat with my friends is great. Scrapping is great. But not great enough to make me freak out about not having it for one night. So, I made myself calm down. We had a nice family dinner. The kids went to bed early. Shane and I cozied up on the couch and I started a book I've been meaning to start. I read and Shane watched football for a while. Then we decided to watch a movie. Together. On the couch. No jumping up to check the IM buzz. No checking email "one last time." No "checking in" before bed. No internet seemed to equal the most quiet, peaceful evening we've spent together in quiet a while. Hmmmm....maybe that nagging voice in my head telling me that my computer addiction is out of control has been right this entire time.

So, where does that leave me? What's my point? The internet is back, up and running normally. But I've decided to try a little experiment. I say little because I'm setting the short term timeline as 48 hours. For the next 48 hours, I'm allowing myself only 1 hour of computer time. That's 30 minutes a day. And I'm sticking to it. I can use that 1 hour however I like. I will do a quick blog update each day and I'm sure I'll check into my normal sites. I may break it into 10 minutes at a time or 15...I just don't know yet. I'll have to see how it goes. But I just can't wait to see how I feel at the end of these 2 days.

Do I think this will be hard? YES! Will there be times that I'm dying to check in? YES! Will I totally ignore my IMs? No, of course not. But I will be timing myself, making sure I don't break my goals. Who knows what this will show me...but I sure do hope I learn something about myself. So, until Tuesday....I'll be in and out. Mostly out.

Leila  – (November 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM)  

Good luck, Jennifer! I drastically reduced my computer time a few years ago, and we're all better off for it!! Of course, I still spend WAY too much time here, but it's less than it used to be!!

MelissaL88  – (November 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM)  

Good luck, Jennifer! I can vouch for cutting down on internet time. The last few weeks, it's a rare night that I even turn on the computer when I get home from work. It certainly makes for a more peaceful evening.

momto4boys  – (November 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM)  

Well Jennifer, I totally envy you!! I have gotten much better at staying away but it is hard...I wish you the best of luck and I hope you check in often so we know that you are stikin' to your plan!!! Take care girl, see ya over at Penny's soon!!

Meems  – (November 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM)  

Good luck, Jennifer!
I can really relate to what you're saying and have been thinking I really need to limit my computer time too.

(I just need to finish my holiday projects first LOL).

Pam  – (November 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM)  

OMGosh! I so could have written this post! Right down to watching a movie last night! Honest, we watched The Bucket List! LOL! I lost my internet even! I wish I could say I would join you but since I work on the computer all day I think I'd get fired! Good luck!

Lucrecia  – (November 9, 2008 at 7:05 PM)  

Good luck! I've reduced my online time in the evenings - but I'm still on the computer scrapping or playing games while watching TV. My husband loves that I can have conversations without me pausing to reply to someone online. :-) I don't think I could give it up at night though - I just can't stand to sit and watch TV without doing something else at the same time! I did get rid of my Blackberry service though - holy cow, talk about addiction!

LuAnn  – (November 9, 2008 at 7:07 PM)  

I hear ya! when I was without power and thus internet, it really was a wake up call as to how much we miss when we are online! good luck and have fun!!

Jaedyn  – (November 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM)  

Jennifer, I could have written your post. I feel the exact same way!!! I've been planning on doing the restriction/timing myself thing too because its getting out of control!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP