Truthful Tuesday...Women
This book that I'm reading, Captivating by John and Stasi Elderedge, has so many interesting points and is making me think so much outside my comfort zone. I would seriously recommend this book to any woman...and then pass it on to the significant other in your life and make him read it as well. I'm not even close to being done, but there is one passage so far that has really stuck out for me.
"Why do so few women have anything close to a life of romance? Loneliness and emptiness are far more common themes--so entirely common that most women buried their longings for romance long ago and are now living merely to survive, get through the week. And it's not just romance--why are most of the relationships of women fraught with hardship? Their friendships, their families, their best friends all seem to have come down with a sort of virus that makes them fundamentally unavailable, leaving a woman lonely at the end of the day. Even when relationships are good, it's never enough. Where does this bottomless pit in us come from?
And women are tired. We are drained. But it's not from a life of shared adventures. No, the weariness of women comes from lives that are crammed with routine, with chores, with hundreds of demands. As Chekov said, "Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day to day living that wears you out. " Somehow, somewhere between our youth and yesterday, efficiency has take the place of adventure."
Of course, the book goes on and talks more in depth about this...but as I sat reading over it for the first time, I had chills. It so describes my life and the lives of nearly every woman I know. I wonder if all women (or most) are feeling these things somewhere deep inside? And, I wonder why? Why aren't we ever satisfied? I think that's the question I'm going to seek to answer.
Here's the book, linked, in case you are interested.















I'm going to have to get that book. Sounds like a fabulous read.
And I too wonder why I am never quite happy enough. I am happy with my life. I love my husband and our 3 kiddos. But there is always something that would make it better and when I get that something -- it isn't better.
I think my blog post stems off of this a little bit. I wrote mine at 1:30 AM so I am not totally sure of what I said. HaHa. I really think I need to get that book. Thanks for the recommendation.
I blame society, lol! Women are expected to stay home and take care of the house and kids (or, work full time and take care of the house and kids). And if we don't, we feel like failures.
I think it's liberating that some of my friends have zero desire to have children. They want to live THEIR lives, not put them on hold and be unhappy for 20+ years while they raise kids and such.
I'll stop writing now, but that's definitely a powerful paragraph and gives us lots to think about. :)
Great post Jennifer. I just say absolutely ditto to what Nikki said.
Sounds like a very interesting book.